The LFUCG Office of Homelessness Prevention and Intervention has activated the Community Emergency Winter Weather Plan for until the morning of Friday, February 12. The plan may be extended at that time.
- STREET OUTREACH contact information has been updated for this activation.
- Please dial 859-533-9199 if you know or see someone that appears to need emergency shelter.
- If it is after 10pm, please call 859-494-0470 (10:00pm until 8:00am).
- The Hope Center Warming shelter for men 18 years and older is OPEN! All those that can go to this shelter will be required to do so. Those that are eligible for this shelter, will not be provided a motel room.
- The Salvation Army for Women and Women with Children is OPEN! All those that can go to this shelter will be required to do so. Those that are eligible for this shelter, will not be provided a motel room.
- ANY hospital or Eastern State Discharge will be required to receive verbal approval prior to discharging patients to congregate shelters.
- We understand that individuals and households would rather have a motel room and do not want to go to shelter. Unfortunately, due to the high demand of these motel rooms over the last 2 months, that program is very close to capacity and will be required to prioritize households for this cold period. Prioritization will be:
- Households that are unsheltered and cannot split up into other shelters or find other supports to pay for a motel/hotel room. This is at the professional discretion of Community Action Council.
- Those permanently banned from the Hope Center or Salvation Army. This must be verified via Hope or TSA staff. This does not mean those restricted. Those restricted will be allowed to come into shelters as long as the community is under the emergency winter weather plan. Those restricted, but allowed to enter Hope or TSA under the emergency winter weather plan will not be provided a motel room.
The community emergency winter weather plan includes enough shelter capacity for those that are willing to accept shelter. With the current available shelter beds, we will be requiring all those that can go to congregate shelters, go. Community Action Council has a very limited amount of emergency overflow rooms available for those households as prioritized above. If there is a couple, they will be asked to split up into the Hope Center and the Salvation Army during these colds nights.
Anyone who would like to receive activation alerts via their cell phone, can now sign up by texting the word LEXSHELTER to 888777.