About 11% of current cases in Lexington are among ages 5-17 years, with a significant increase in cases since June: 31 cases in June, 251 cases in July, and 93 so far in August. For example, the first 10 days of July reported 46 cases, compared to 93 through the first 10 days of August.
Overall, Lexington reported 156 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, August 10, bringing the city’s 7-day rolling average to 130 cases a day. The city also reported a new death, bringing the total to 327 since the outbreak began in March 2020.
The Lexington/Fayette County Health Department recommends the following steps to help slow the rising number of COVID-19 cases:
- Get vaccinated
- Wear a mask in public areas
- Avoiding close contact with sick people, especially those with COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough, muscle/body aches, loss of taste/smell, nausea, etc.)
- Covering mouth and nose when you cough and/or sneeze
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
Free COVID-19 vaccines are available by same-day appointment every Mon, Wed, and Friday in our clinic at 650 Newtown Pike. Call 859-288-2483 to schedule.