Join the American Red Cross to Sound the Alarm. Save a Life.
Home fires claim seven lives every day, but you can help change that.
This spring, join our national movement and pledge to keep your family safe by taking 2 simple steps: Practice your 2-minute escape drill and test your smoke alarms monthly.
1. Practice a 2-Minute Fire Drill
- Practice your 2-minute drill (from home to a safe meeting place) at least twice a year.
- Everyone in your household should know two ways to escape from each room in your home.
- In a real fire, remember to get out, stay out and call 911. Never go back inside for people, pets or things.
2. Test Your Smoke Alarms Monthly
- Test your smoke alarms monthly by pressing the test button.
- You should hear three beeps, letting you know the alarm is working.
- Don’t hear the beeps? Then it’s time to change the batteries, if your model requires them.
- If your smoke alarm is 10 years old, it’s time to get a new alarm because the sensor becomes less sensitive over time.